Saturday, June 2, 2018

The Same Holds True




I started this blog in December of 2012 to reflect on my experiences as an English language instructor. At the time, I was teaching at the University of Oregon's American English Institute (UO AEI). My instructional duties were divided between teaching international students in the Intensive English Program (IEP) and training English as a Foreign Language (EFL) educators worldwide in the eLearning program.

Working at UO AEI was both challenging and rewarding, as most challenging things are. I was kept quite busy there. In addition to my instructional duties, I served on committees, developed curriculum, led a team of teachers, as well as presented at conferences regularly. During that time, my blog posts were not only reflective of my teaching experiences, but also of how I managed to maintain a balanced life in the midst of it all.

Balance for me is being able to stay as active as possible and adventure as frequently as possible, while I'm working hard to do my best in my job and career. Being active is in my nature, and I've grown to rely on physical activity and adventure to keep me happy, content, and balanced. While I might rely a little too heavily on these things, I figure there are worse things than physical activity and adventure to rely on for happiness.

Because I love activity and adventure, where I live is important. I need to be close to the things I love so I can access them conveniently. This discovery and ultimate desire led me to leave my job at the University of Oregon and move to a place that offered more of the recreation opportunities that I seek.

Three years ago I left my job at UO AEI and moved from Eugene, OR to live in the Hood River, OR area. I started an English language teaching/learning website and began teaching dance classes, as well as working in a local brewery. At that time, my plan was to make money with the website and to eventually work 100% online and continue teaching dance classes; I love to dance. Well, I never made any money off the website, which isn't to say I never will, but I believe that I created the website to serve a different purpose and not the purpose I originally intended. I believe it played a large role in my getting into the doctoral program in which I am currently studying.

In the three years that I've been living in the Hood River area , I've gone through periods where I don't think I could have possibly been happier. Times where I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for all the wonderful things in my life. One of which is an incredibly supportive husband.

I've also had periods of time where I questioned my decisions, where I felt incredibly challenged, scared, and uncertain about the future. This place, like most of its nature, is not an easy place to survive. Scare jobs in my field and high prices make it challenging.

Despite this, I was determined to make life work here, to find a rewarding job and incorporate as much activity and adventure into my life as possible.

Since moving here, I've had an abundance of activity and adventure.  I can fill my days with mountain biking, snowboarding, kiteboarding, kayaking, hiking, stand up paddle boarding, and taking pictures of my beautiful surroundings, all of which I love to do.

I also love to teach. I believe in the power of education to do good. As Nelson Mandela said, "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

The feelings of fear and uncertainty I had were regarding my future as an educator.  Did leaving my job and moving to my dream location mean giving up teaching altogether? Was I going to find a way to live the balanced life of my dreams? Would I ever teach again? Did I have to choose one over the other?

In the face of these feelings, I kept believing in my dreams. I kept believing that I could have it all. I could live in a place I love and do work I believe in and am passionate about. I still believe that, but I now know that chasing your dreams is not easy. It's hard work. Real hard work. In fact, during the chase you'll want to give up. You'll think you were crazy for ever setting out on such a quest in the first place. But to keep the dream alive, you have to believe. You have to never give up.

I'm now in a doctoral program through the University of South Carolina's online doctorate program. I'm working towards a Doctorate of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with an Educational Technology Concentration. I also started teaching at Columbia Gorge Community College, where I'm instructing in the English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program. I continue to teach dance and to do my activities and adventure as much as possible. My dream is alive and well.

This is it for now. This is where I am. I'm trying not to worry about what I will do after obtaining my doctorate. I'm trying not to feel overwhelmed with how busy my future will be. I'm trying to enjoy the here and now. Be content with what I'm doing. Be proud of myself for following my dreams. I'm trying to stay focused on the dream and trust the rest will fall into place. And remembering that life will continue to teach me lessons. I will continue to be challenged and to learn and grow from these challenges. This much will never change. The same holds true for then, for now, and for the future. We live. We learn. We grow.

1 comment: