Monday, November 18, 2013

The Here and Now

“All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment important, vital, and worth living. Do not let it slip away unnoticed and unused.” 
― Martha Graham


I always strive to find a way to connect my personal life with my professional life in my blog posts. At this point, I feel like my professional life is taking over. I've been so busy with work that my personal life is being neglected. Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel frustrated in the midst of this. I want to be challenging my personal self as much as my professional self. I want to be in my kayak, paddling new rivers and pushing my skills. I want to be riding my mountain bike on technical, downhill trails. I want to be carving turns on my snowboard. I want to be gliding over the water on my kiteboard, giant kite overhead, sun shining down on me.

WOW! All of these things I'm focusing on aren't allowing me to focus on the here and now, ultimately preventing me from enjoying it as much as I should! I'm guilty.

My work is incredibly rewarding and very consuming. I'm developing a solid curriculum in Oral Communication Skills 2 and leading my team of teachers to success. Day in and day out, I'm creating engaging materials for us to use. Why do I find myself dreaming of outdoor adventures nonstop? I should be focusing on the present and enjoying it.

In Webskills, my participants from all over the world are excelling. They've created a productive online learning community. It's an honor and pleasure to interact with these talented educators from all over the world. Why do I find myself dreaming of traveling to the far off and distant places where they live? I should focus on the fact that I have the privilege of using the internet to connect globally with teachers from all over the world.

It's in times like these, when my thoughts are in the future and not the present, that I must remind myself of the importance of being here, NOW. I must enjoy these moments. Focus on them. Embrace them. One day soon, I'll be adventuring, and when that time comes, I must enjoy THAT moment.

My life is a blessing. Each and every aspect of it. From my work to my family, to all of the outdoor sports that I so treasure. I'm one lucky gal. I must remember that and enjoy each moment for what IT is.

Isn't this one of life's biggest challenges? Being in the here and now.

We mustn't forget that we are exactly where we should be each and every moment. I pledge to start focusing on the here. Now. Won't you join me?

3 comments:

  1. It is indeed one of the most challenging and the most rewarding course I have ever taken in my life. In the beginning, it was like a thorny and uneven path that I had to go through till I reach my goal. Now that we have learned a lot from our mistakes, we start to realize the uncountable and priceless benefits. And that the worst mistake is never to make any is impeccable. Having enjoyed every moment of this course, I wish that you, my classmates, and I could get together at least one day so that we discuss more and share our experiences and feelings about what we have learned in this adventurous voyage.
    Unforgettably Grateful,
    Waseem Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Waseem! It is wonderful to hear a first hand account of the benefits the Webskills course is bringing you.

      You are absolutely right that the worst mistake is never to make one, as we learn the most from our mistakes.

      Wouldn't it be delightful to meet face to face to discuss all that we've been learning.

      Ah, but we must embrace this time that we do have and enjoy every minute of it NOW!

      Delete
  2. Hello Courtney,

    What a lovely post!

    Reading it launch me nicely. Here and now!

    It's definitely true, we need to be here and now. No dream.

    Thanks a lot for this reflection.
    I like it.
    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete